Creating a Community for Making Common Core State Standards Work
Presentation for educators by Dr. Jane Bluestein
Student engagement, achievement, and performance all start with classroom climate and the quality of the learning environment. As our educational system continues to evolve, we need to create a context to make new programs, policies, and requirements “work.”
This program examines the ingredients of a classroom environment conducive to effectively meeting the demands of the CCSS initiatives, including classroom management policies, relationships and interactions, instructional strategies, and ways of reaching a wide range of students across the depth and breadth of the curriculum. We’ll look at ways to minimize or eliminate the behavioral disruptions and stresses that interfere with our reaching instructional goals or maximizing student engagement and achievement.
We’ll also examine practical ways to “start with the students” to identify and fill gaps in learning, increase time devoted to instruction and on-task student behavior, and make learning within the context of the Common Core meaningful and engaging. We’ll see how various policies and practices can impact the emotional climate of a classroom or school, and address relationship and safety issues— as well as the social and emotional needs of students— with regard to instruction, motivation, and discipline. The program also offers dozens of practical and effective strategies to prevent failure and resistance, encourage support and involvement from parents, build a positive school culture, and maximize achievement, commitment, and cooperation.
- Examine the relationship between climate and achievement
- Establish win-win authority relationships to reduce disruptions that eat into instructional time
- Encourage involvement and participation of defeated, discouraged, and disengaged students
- Address differences in how individuals learn (adults and kids) to meet a wide range of student needs and increase success
- Incorporate movement and various brain-friendly exercises to regulate students’ levels of alertness and increase time on task
- Share information to create buy-in with colleagues, administrators, mentors, and parents
- Use conditional availability of accommodations as practical and effective strategies for motivating student cooperation, commitment, and accountability
- Adopt planning, placement, and pacing strategies to build student success and minimize behavior problems that often emerge when kids believe they cannot be successful in school
- Build academic and social skills through collaboration and peer interaction
- Maintain a positive focus, avoid feelings of overwhelm, and improve self-care
© 2013, Dr. Jane Bluestein
- Meet Dr. Bluestein in a brief introductory video. (Note: This is the same video as on our home page.)
- Information about Dr. Bluestein’s bio and background.
- Print out a script for introducing Dr. Bluestein to your audience.
- See what Dr. Bluestein can do for you: details on services offered.
- List of Dr. Bluestein’s presentations and interview topics.
- Here’s a sampling of Dr. Bluestein’s audiences
- See where Dr. Bluestein has spoken (other states, provinces, countries)
- Read what people are saying about Dr. Jane Bluestein
- View Dr. Bluestein’s press kit with links to her Resume, Speaking Resume, and Media Resume
- Our media resources and policies.
- Topics and related questions for media interviews.
- Download a press photo to publicize your event.
- Check out the milestones and highlights of Dr. Bluestein’s life and career.
- List of Dr. Bluestein’s resources: books, audio, video and other resources
- See Dr. Bluestein’s schedule of events and activities.
- Contact Dr. Bluestein for any questions or to arrange an interview or event.
Information about related books:
Please support this site: This website is an ongoing labor of love, with a fair number of expenses involved. Your support will help offset the cost of continual training, technical assistance, and translators, allowing me to continue to maintain the site, add helpful and inspiring new content and links, and keep the site ad-free. Donate here…