Tips for responding to meanness or bullying
by Naomi Drew
Note from Jane Bluestein: Ms. Drew recommends teaching kids the following strategies. I think this information would also be valuable for adults in a similar situation.
* Stand tall with your head held high, feet apart.
* Take slow deep breaths to keep your cool.
* Act as if you’re totally confident, even if you feel nervous.
* Keep your body language and facial expression strong but neutral.
* Make direct eye contact.
* Speak in a firm, steady tone of voice.
* Walk away tall and strong, silently repeating your calming statement.
Naomi Drew is recognized around the world for her work in conflict resolution, peacemaking, and anti-bullying. She is the award-winning author of seven widely-used books, including the critically acclaimed, No Kidding About Bullying. Visit her Web site at www.LearningPeace.com. You can contact Ms. Drew at Naomi@LearningPeace.com. Copyright Naomi Drew, 2009. May be copied for classroom and group use only.
Please support this site. Click here for more information.