Keeping the Focus you Want
Presentation by Dr. Jane Bluestein
Is your school a negative place? Do you hear more criticism, complaining, or yelling than encouragement or laughter? Want to put the fun back in your work?
Schools can be amazingly negative places! Elementary school kids generally hear 3 negative comments for every positive comment; by high school the ratio can go as high as 17 to 1, and there are surely children who can go for a long, long time without getting even one piece of positive feedback from adults and peers!
This program offers strategies for building a positive social culture, for improving the quality of feedback we give and for building interactions that accomplish positive goals without the usual threats, yelling, or criticism. You’ll learn how to change threats to promises, emphasize positive consequences to motivate kids, and improve the quality of relationships and interactions with parents and other staff members.
We’ll also look at practical ways to ward off the exhausting and defeating effects of negativity, both within the school community and from the media and other outside sources.
This program can be adapted for parents and caregivers. See “Positively Positive at Home!”
Information about related books:
The Win-Win Classroom: Positive Classroom Management
The Beginning Teacher’s Survival Guide: Win-Win Strategies for Success
Creating Emotionally Safe Schools: A Guide for Educators and Parents
Managing 21st Century Classrooms: How do I avoid ineffective classroom management practices?
- Meet Dr. Bluestein in a brief introductory video. (Note: This is the same video as on our home page.)
- Classic CV/resume: Basic overview of background, education, and experience
- Here’s a sampling of Dr. Bluestein’s audiences.
- See a list of national events where Dr. Bluestein has presented.
- See where Dr. Bluestein has worked in the US (local, regional).
- See where Dr. Bluestein has worked internationally (speaking and media)
- See where Dr. Bluestein has presented to parents worldwide.
- See Dr. Bluestein’s media resumes, including national broadcast media, local and regional broadcast media, and web chats, internet, and other media.
- Information about Dr. Bluestein’s bio and background.
- Print out a script for introducing Dr. Bluestein to your audience.
- See what Dr. Bluestein can do for you: details on services offered.
- List of Dr. Bluestein’s presentations and interview topics.
- Read what people are saying about Dr. Jane Bluestein
- View Dr. Bluestein’s press kit with links to her Resume, Speaking Resume, and Media Resume
- Our media resources and policies.
- Topics and related questions for media interviews.
- Download a press photo to publicize your event.
- Check out the milestones and highlights of Dr. Bluestein’s life and career.
- List of Dr. Bluestein’s resources: books, audio, video and other resources
- See Dr. Bluestein’s schedule of events and activities.
- Contact Dr. Bluestein for any questions or to arrange an interview or event.
© 2012, Dr. Jane Bluestein
Please support this site: This website is an ongoing labor of love, with a fair number of expenses involved. Your support will help offset the cost of continual training, technical assistance, and translators, allowing me to continue to maintain the site, add helpful and inspiring new content and links, and keep the site ad-free. Donate here…