How to Draw the Line
Presentation by Dr. Jane Bluestein
Need some great ideas for motivating cooperation, building accountability and self-management, and reducing conflict with the young people in your life? Here are simple, practical ways to truly take advantage of kids’ natural desire for greater freedom and power, along with their basic need for structure and safety!
This program focuses on how you can set, express, and maintain boundaries— which are an essential part of any healthy relationships— to create a win-win authority relationship, make your limits clear, and let the kids know which options are available for meeting their own needs.
We’ll explore effective ways to use boundary-setting to avoid conflicts, encourage responsibility and self-management, resolve problems, prevent pointless and frustrating, no-win power struggles, build commitment and initiative, and establish a foundation of mutual trust, consideration and respect.
Similar to “You Can’t Make Me!”, this program is applicable to any grownup living or working with kids, and can be adapted specifically for parents, educators, or other grownups in kids’ lifes. The strategies apply to all children (any age), and are particularly effective with children at risk. A similar program for parents of teenagers is also available.
Information about related books:
The Win-Win Classroom: Positive Classroom Management
Parents, Teens and Boundaries: How to Draw the Line
The Parent’s Little Book of Lists: Do’s and Don’ts of Effective Parenting
The Beginning Teacher’s Survival Guide: Win-Win Strategies for Success
Creating Emotionally Safe Schools: A Guide for Educators and Parents
- Meet Dr. Bluestein in a brief introductory video. (Note: This is the same video as on our home page.)
- Classic CV/resume: Basic overview of background, education, and experience
- Here’s a sampling of Dr. Bluestein’s audiences.
- See a list of national events where Dr. Bluestein has presented.
- See where Dr. Bluestein has worked in the US (local, regional).
- See where Dr. Bluestein has worked internationally (speaking and media)
- See where Dr. Bluestein has presented to parents worldwide.
- See Dr. Bluestein’s media resumes, including national broadcast media, local and regional broadcast media, and web chats, internet, and other media.
- Information about Dr. Bluestein’s bio and background.
- Print out a script for introducing Dr. Bluestein to your audience.
- See what Dr. Bluestein can do for you: details on services offered.
- List of Dr. Bluestein’s presentations and interview topics.
- Read what people are saying about Dr. Jane Bluestein
- View Dr. Bluestein’s press kit with links to her Resume, Speaking Resume, and Media Resume
- Our media resources and policies.
- Topics and related questions for media interviews.
- Download a press photo to publicize your event.
- Check out the milestones and highlights of Dr. Bluestein’s life and career.
- List of Dr. Bluestein’s resources: books, audio, video and other resources
- See Dr. Bluestein’s schedule of events and activities.
- Contact Dr. Bluestein for any questions or to arrange an interview or event.
© 2012, Dr. Jane Bluestein
Please support this site: This website is an ongoing labor of love, with a fair number of expenses involved. Your support will help offset the cost of continual training, technical assistance, and translators, allowing me to continue to maintain the site, add helpful and inspiring new content and links, and keep the site ad-free. Donate here…