Is Your School an Emotionally Safe Place?
Presentation by Dr. Jane Bluestein
Emotional safety is critical to learning and achievement, and a key component of an atmosphere that discourages passivity, aggression, or acting out for revenge or self-protection.
This program examines the effect of threat and stress on the brain, and its impact on learning and student behavior. We’ll look at the kinds of behaviors kids (and adults) often use to create safety and how these behaviors sometimes interfere with learning and achievement.
We’ll also examine how various policies and practices can impact the emotional climate of a classroom or school, and address relationship and safety issues with regard to instruction, motivation and discipline. The program also offers dozens of practical and effective alternatives to build a positive school culture and maximize achievement, commitment and cooperation.
Topics include discipline and power issues, accommodating a wide range of academic abilities and learner preferences, preventing failure, encouragement and positivity, improving the social culture, and dealing with mistakes and misbehavior.
Participants will identify specific behaviors they wish to adopt to use to build a climate of emotional safety in their classrooms and schools.
Alternate title: Is your Classroom an Emotionally Safe Place?
Information about related books:
Creating Emotionally Safe Schools: A Guide for Educators and Parents
The Win-Win Classroom: Positive Classroom Management
The Beginning Teacher’s Survival Guide: Win-Win Strategies for Success
Managing 21st Century Classrooms: How do I avoid ineffective classroom managementpractices?
- Meet Dr. Bluestein in a brief introductory video. (Note: This is the same video as on our home page.)
- Classic CV/resume: Basic overview of background, education, and experience
- Here’s a sampling of Dr. Bluestein’s audiences.
- See a list of national events where Dr. Bluestein has presented.
- See where Dr. Bluestein has worked in the US (local, regional).
- See where Dr. Bluestein has worked internationally (speaking and media)
- See where Dr. Bluestein has presented to parents worldwide.
- See Dr. Bluestein’s media resumes, including national broadcast media, local and regional broadcast media, and web chats, internet, and other media.
- Information about Dr. Bluestein’s bio and background.
- Print out a script for introducing Dr. Bluestein to your audience.
- See what Dr. Bluestein can do for you: details on services offered.
- List of Dr. Bluestein’s presentations and interview topics.
- Read what people are saying about Dr. Jane Bluestein
- View Dr. Bluestein’s press kit with links to her Resume, Speaking Resume, and Media Resume
- Our media resources and policies.
- Topics and related questions for media interviews.
- Download a press photo to publicize your event.
- Check out the milestones and highlights of Dr. Bluestein’s life and career.
- List of Dr. Bluestein’s resources: books, audio, video and other resources
- See Dr. Bluestein’s schedule of events and activities.
- Contact Dr. Bluestein for any questions or to arrange an interview or event.
© 2012, Dr. Jane Bluestein
Please support this site: This website is an ongoing labor of love, with a fair number of expenses involved. Your support will help offset the cost of continual training, technical assistance, and translators, allowing me to continue to maintain the site, add helpful and inspiring new content and links, and keep the site ad-free. Donate here…