by Dr. Jane Bluestein
This title is no longer in our stock and has gone out of print. Copies may be available from the publisher or online retailers. This book is also in revision for a new release online. In the meantime, we will be providing links to available copies from other providers soon. Thank you for your patience.
A special price on a great gift for new graduates, beginning teachers, returning teachers, and anyone who needs a shot in the arm after a challenging year!
Becoming a Win-Win Teacher examines some of the challenges of becoming an educator in today’s fast-changing world.
With practical ideas and honest cautions, this book encompasses a wide range of helpful topics including an exploration of what keeps so many schools rooted in win-lose philosophies and practices, personal assets that will increase the odds of your survival and success, and specifc strategies for winning in a win-lose system.
- Your professional identity: demands and expectations of the job, authenticity and cautions, life in a fishbowl, protecting yourself
- Understanding schools in context: cultural and economic realities, adapting to the challenge of change, and working successfully with students’ habits, skills, and expectations
- Learning the system: What you need to know, dealing with toxic environments, and navigating political agendas
- Building your support team: The value of collaboration, finding an effective mentor, and working with administrators, central office, supportive colleagues, specialists, classified support personnel, substitutes, and parents
- Connecting with students: Disconnected kids, the importance of connectedness, going beyond the grade book
- Avoiding win-lose power strategies: Includes an examination of our most beloved (and persistent) win-lose traditions that can make your life even more stressful
- Effective strategies for creating a win-win classroom: Examines issues such as relationships, structure and routines, flexibility and fairness, choices, expressing your needs assertively, positive consequences and good follow through, good directions, recognition and positive feedback, keeping a cool head, and issues such as providing emotional support, encouraging problem solving, and buiding community
- Growing your career
- Taking care of yourself
Becoming a Win-Win Teacher will help you become a welcome, established, and effective member of a school community—without sacrificing your personality, intentions, or ideals.
For people entering the field of education today, whether straight out of college as a first career, or mid-career switchers coming to education later in life, with topics and tips relevant and helpful for veterans as well—especially those working in a lead teacher, support provider, or mentor for newcomers to the classroom.
The book includes handy charts, self-assessment surveys, planning pages, and activity sheets. For all grade levels and for anyone working in a school setting, this book is also a great resource for college professors and seminar or study group leaders. A great companion book to The Win-Win Classroom and a wonderful gift for student teachers and recent graduates.
8 1/2” x 11”, 288 pages.
Please see information for international shipping if you are ordering from outside the U.S.
Order this book online!
We will be providing links to order a revised version of this book when it becomes available. Thank you for your patience.
Product page. Products are listed alphabetically.
Please support this site:
This website is an ongoing labor of love. Your support will help offset the cost of continual training, technical assistance, and translators, allowing me to continue to maintain the site, add helpful and inspiring new content, and keep the site ad-free. Donate here…
Everything you need for your next conference or professional development event.